Food Safety

Ensuring food is received and maintained to an acceptable standard prior to it being sold to the public is an important aspect in protecting public health. To ensure food for sale is both safe and suitable for human consumption is one of three key objectives of the Food Act 2001. This Act sets out a number of requirements that food businesses need to meet to help achieve the objectives.

The term 'food business' is defined in the Act as:

"a business, enterprise or activity (other than a business, enterprise or activity that is primary food production) that involves—

(a) the handling of food intended for sale; or

(b) the sale of food,

regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only."

Are you thinking of starting a food business?

Persons who conduct a Food Business either from home or at another premise are legally required to notify Council prior to undertaking food activity.

Notification is completed by lodging the Food Business Notification Form to receive your Food Business Notification number. This number covers your food activity for South Australia and only needs to be applied for once unless food activity or business contact details change. Council will forward your Food Business Notification number once received from SA Health.

Food Business Notification (FBN) Form(102 kb)

For information on food production, packaging, labelling and sales information pertaining to particular food types, refer to the Checklist for Fit-Out Form:

Checklist for Fit-Out Form(65 kb)

Additional information is available in regard to fitting out of premises as a food business including preparation areas, food storage, presentation and sales.

This is a requirement of the South Australian Food Act and Regulations.

If a food business is transferred to another person or there is a change in the name or address of a food business the proprietor must give written notice to Council within 14 days of the transfer or change.

Notification of Temporary Food Events

Temporary food premises are those that are set up for a specific, occasional event including fetes, fairs, field days, markets, cake stalls, festivals and sausage sizzles.  These food stalls must also meet the requirements as set out in the Food Act 2001.

All events in the Naracoorte Lucindale Council area that have temporary food premises must notify Council prior to the event taking place on the Temporary Notification Form available at the following link:

Food Event (Temporary) Notification Form(43 kb)

Events with temporary food premises can be inspected by an Environmental Health Officer without notice to ensure that food safety standards are being met.  If you would like further information about requirements of food businesses contact Council's Environmental Health Officer.

Food Business Inspections

Council conducts inspections of food businesses to monitor compliance with the Food Act 2001. Routine inspections can occur at any reasonable time and a fee may be charged in accordance with the Food Act. Refer to the following link Fees and Charges.

Food Safety Standards

The Food Act 2001 requires food businesses to comply with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

The Laws surrounding the sale of food in South Australia ensure food for sale is safe and gives consumers necessary and accurate information.

These laws consist of the following pieces of legistation: Food Act 2001, Food Regulations 2002, and Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. For more information on these laws click here.

Food premises are routinely inspected for food handling and hygiene practices. Council undertakes food safety inspections to ensure that premises are complying with the Food Safety Standards of the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Food Skills and Knowledge

There are a number of ways that food business proprietors and food handlers can ensure their skills and knowledge meet the requirements of the Food Safety Standards. Options can include:

  • In-house training;
  • Providing staff with relevant information to read;
  • Documenting rules/procedures that outline responsibilities;
  • Training provided by appropriate external person/organisation;
  • Formal training;
  • Any combination of the above.

Council's Environmental Health Officer has two types of Food Safety Information Kits (produced by SA Health) available on request. This includes one kit that is tailored for community groups. These resources contain a number of fact sheets, brochures, posters and a food safety DVD.