Freedom of Information

FOI Statement

Click on the link below to view Council's current Freedom of Information Statement.

Freedom of Information Statement 2020-21

What is Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 1991 gives you a legally enforceable right of access to documents within South Australian State and Local Government's possession. The purpose of Freedom of Information (FOI) is to make the business of government open and accountable to all.

FOI allows you to:

  • access (as much as possible) documents within Council's possession
  • amend documents that relate to you which are incomplete, incorrect, out-of-date or misleading

What kind of documents can I access?

FOI enables you to apply to have access to any document within Council's possession. This includes paper based documents as well as other types of documents including: computer files, plans, photographs, videos and audio tapes.

Types of documents held by Council

Many of Council's documents such as minutes and agendas for Council and Council committees, annual reports, budget statements, voters rolls etc, are already publicly available. It is not necessary to lodge an FOI application to see these. You can view these by contacting or visiting the Council or searching Council's website.

Are there any documents that are not available?

While FOI aims to provide access to the maximum amount of information possible, a number of exemptions are necessary to ensure that other people's privacy is not unduly invaded or the proper administration of the Council is not unduly affected.

The types of documents that are exempt include:

  • Policy documents from before 1 January, 1987
  • Documents subject to legal professional privilege
  • Documents that contain trade secrets or information of commercial value
  • Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety
  • Documents that would lead to an unreasonable disclosure of another person's affairs

How do I make an FOI application?

You can discuss your FOI application with Council's FOI Officer prior to lodging a request. We can provide you with an application form by asking at the Council offices or you can download the application form below.

FOI - Request for Access

If you do not wish to use an application form you can make a FOI request by ensuring it:

  • is in writing
  • specifies that you are making an application under the Freedom of Information Act 1999
  • has your name and address
  • specifies the documents you would like access to or what matter they concern
  • specifies whether the documents contain information about your personal affairs
  • request the form of access to the document (do you wish to inspect it, or have a copy?)
  • includes the appropriate application fee (please do not send cash through the mail)
  • specifies whether you are financially disadvantaged (please provide a copy of supporting document)
  • is sent directly to the Council if you believe we hold the information

Can I correct inaccurate documents about me?

Under FOI you may apply to the Council to have documents corrected if they are incomplete, incorrect, misleading or out-of-date. We can provide you with an application form by asking at the Council offices or you can download the application form below.

FOI - Amendment of Personal Records

How long will it take to process my application?

Once Council has received your written application we have 30 days in which to respond.

We must notify you within 20 days if we require an extension of the 30 day timeframe and give reasons for the extension.

Will I have to pay?

An FOI application must be accompanied by the appropriate application fee.

FOI - Fees and Charges

Additional charges may be levied to process your request.

If you are financially disadvantaged all fees will be waived. Proof of this will be required to be sighted at the time you lodge your FOI application.

What happens if I'm dissatisfied?

If a document is exempt from disclosure the Council may decide to deny you access to all or part of that document. We will tell you why access has been refused and inform you of your appeal rights in that regard.

A first step is to consider lodging an Application for Internal Review. An application form with details is attached below.

FOI - Internal Review of Determination

Who can help me with my FOI application?

All FOI applications must be lodged directly with the Council which holds the documents you require access to.

Please contact Council's FOI officer before submitting your application if you require help clarifying which documents to request. They will inform you how to make your application and help you gain access to the maximum amount of information possible.