* books & eBooks * magazines & eMagazines * DVD’S & CD’s * Audio books & eAudiobooks
* Large print books * Newspapers * Public access computers * Scanning & printing facility
* Photocopying, including colour * Local History collection * Broadband for seniors * Free internet & wifi access *Toy Library
To view the online library catalogue click here.
To view the library newsletters click here.
Toys are now available to borrow from the Library. The following conditions apply:
- Three toys may be borrowed for a two week loan on a child’s card.
- Toy library membership is free at this stage
- The parent / guardian is responsible to pay for toys damaged / lost / missing pieces
- Toys must be returned clean with any packaging
- Toys need to be borrowed before playing with them
- It is the responsibility of the parent / guardian to choose age appropriate toys and supervise child whilst playing with toys
- Toys need to be returned on the front counter during Library open hours
- The supply of batteries is the responsibility of borrowers
A Toy Library Working Group may be established to help with the management of the Toy Library. If you are interested in volunteering or being involved in a Toy Library Working Group contact the library on 8762 2338.
Library Room Booking form is available here: Library Booking Form(167 kb)
To join the Library bring identification of your name and address. Membership is also available for temporary borrowers with a $30.00 fee refundable on return of items. Your Library card allows you to borrow items in the Library, go online and reserve items and access other online resources. eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines
DVDs magazines and compact discs may be borrowed for two weeks. All other items have a four week loan period which may be extended once. When the Library is closed items may be returned through the return chute, located on the left hand side of the building.
If the Naracoorte Library, or any of the participating libraries in the network, does not have the books that you require then they can be ordered through the statewide network, PLAIN. The State Library is also used for reference queries and newspaper articles etc.
Internet access is free and available to the public to be booked on four computer terminals. Any persons under 18 years require signed consent by parent/guardian. Seniors may use the two Broadband for Seniors computers. Training is offered by volunteers and online tutorials.
The Library has a photocopier for public use at reasonable prices, including the option of colour prints. Scanning of documents to a USB is also a great feature.
Births, Deaths and Marriages Registrars
These are available on microfiche for researching family history in the Robe District (which includes the Naracoorte and Lucindale ares).
- Births 1875 -1923 plus indexes only to 1950.
- Deaths 1875 - 1969 plus indexes only to 1973.
- Marriages 1856 – 1939 plus indexes only to 1973.
The Naracoorte Herald is available on microfilm from December 1875 - 1946 and 1948 - 2000. Hard copies are available onsite from 1999 onwards.
Periodically items will be available to purchase at reasonable prices.
School Holiday Activities and other Events
A storytelling and craft session is usually held twice during the school holidays. The same theme will be conducted during the two sessions. Recommended for children 5-9 years. Please book.
Story telling and rhymes for 0-5 years olds is held on Wednesday at 2.00pm during school terms.
A Brief History
The Naracoorte Public Library was opened on the 20th October 1978 with a small stock of 8,500 items. The Library was also the Tourist Office from 1978 until its move to "The Sheep's Back Museum" in 1986.
1990 saw the implementation of PLAIN (Public Libraries Automated Information Network) which increased borrowing of items from other libraries within the state.
December 1993 saw the link up with Millicent Public Library's computerised circulation system. By 1999 the Robe Public Library, Bordertown Public Library and the Penola School Community Library had joined the network. The Library's catalogue then became available via the Internet. The Library extended its opening hours in 1994 to open Mondays.
|Monday||09:00AM - 05:30PM|
|Tuesday||09:00AM - 05:30PM|
|Wednesday||09:00AM - 05:30PM|
|Thursday||09:00AM - 08:00PM|
|Friday||09:00AM - 05:30PM|
|Saturday||08:30AM - 12:00PM|
|The library is closed on Public Holidays|
The latest Naracoorte Public Library Newsletter, Spring 2019, is available here